Funding and Awards
Thomas Mock et al. :
- (Sole PI: Mock, T) NERC: Rapid Growth Algae: An enabling technology to enhance algal growth and reduce algal production costs. (2014)
- (PI: Mock, T) (Co-Is: Moulton V, Caccamo M.) Earth and Life Systems Alliance (ELSA): The Nannochloropsis oceanica (Yellow Sea, Qingdao) genome: gene mining by comparative genomics and RNA sequencing. (2013-2014)
- (PI: Mock, T.) (Co-I: Strauss, J.) NERC: Global significance of light-driven proton pumps in eukaryotic marine phytoplankton. (2013-2016)
- (PI: Mock, T) (Co-I: Moulton, V) NERC (UK): From the North Sea to the Arctic Ocean: The impact of temperature on eukaryotic phytoplankton. (2013-2016)
- (PI: Todd J) (CO-Is: Lyon B, Mock T) NERC (UK): How do eukaryotic phytoplankton produce the most abundant organo-sulphur compound in the world's oceans? (2012-2015)
- (Sole PI) NERC (UK): How diatom blooms are being formed: Identifying the genetic underpinnings of fast growth. (2012-2014)
- (PI) (Co-Is: Moulton V, Moustafa A, Pearson G, Valentin K) Department of Energy, Joint Genome Institute (US): 'Sea of change: Eukaryotic phytoplankton communities in the Arctic Ocean'. (2012-2014)
- (Sole PI) UEA Proof of Concept Fund: Assessing the biotechnological potential of a novel transgenic algal strain for third generation biofuels and high-value end products. (2011)
- (Sole PI) Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation (US): Transcriptome sequencing of several different marine microalgae. (2011-2012)
- (Sole PI), Leverhulme Trust (UK): 'From Genes to Structures: How Diatoms form their Nano-Structured Silica Shells' (2011-2014)
- (Sole PI), NERC (UK), New Investigator Award: ' Functional adaptation of diatoms to environmental conditions in sea ice of the Southern Ocean' (2010-2013)
- (Sole PI), Royal Society, (UK): 'Whole-genome expression profiling of the polar marine diatom Fragilariopsis cylindrus to identify genes involved in adaptation to life at the freezing point of sea water' (2010-2011)
- (PI) (Co-Is: Moulton, V; Underwood, G; Napier, J), BBSRC Genome Analysis Centre (TGAC) Capacity and Capability Challenge Programme (UK): 'Functional Genomic insights into the heterotrophic diatom Nitzschia alba' (2010-2012)
- (PI) (Co-Is: Caccamo, M; Rogers, J; Shabhonam, C; Moulton V), BBSRC Genome Analysis Centre (TGAC): 'Sequencing the Genome of Emiliania huxleyi RCC1217' (2009-2011)
- (PI: Oldroyd, G) (Co-Is: Bevan M; Brown J; Dalmay T; Dean C; Dicks J; Domoney C; Doonana J; Dorling S; Emerson B; Gage M; Grant A; Irwin J; Johnston A; Lauri D; Lenton T; Mock T; Mouton V; Ostergaard L; Poole P; Richardson D; Sturges W; Watmough NJ), BBSRC (Training Grant): 'Earth and Life Systems Alliance – A multi-disciplinary alliance to tackle the challenges posed by a changing environment' (2009-2013)
- (PI, Joint-PI: Valentin, K) (Co-Is: Gloeckner, FO; Murry, A; Gloeckner, G; Beszteri, B; Parker, M; Armbrust EV) 454 Roche 10Gb call (International): 'Sequencing a Threatened Ecosystem of Global Significance: Polar Sea ice' (2009-2011).
- (Sole PI) Royal Society, (UK): From Genes to Structures: 'How Diatoms form their Nano-Structured Silica Shells' (2009-2010)
- (PI: Napier, J) (Co-I: Mock, T) BBSRC IBTI Club PhD Studentship (UK): 'Enhancing the production of omega-3 polyunsaturates in marine microbes' (2011-2015)
- (PI) (Co-Is: Valentin, K; Parker, M; Marchetti A; Armbrust EV, Toseland, A; Moulton V) NERC, NBAF (UK): ' Upper Ocean Metatranscriptomics of Eukaryotic Phytoplankton Communities' (2008-2009)
- (PI) (Co-Is: Valentin, K; Parker, M; Bowler, C; Armbrust EV) Department of Energy, Joint Genome Institute (US): 'Whole Genome Sequencing of the Polar Diatom Fragilariopsis cylindrus' (2006-2009)
- Research Councils UK (RCUK) Academic Fellowship: 'Near Surface Marine Microbiology' (2007-2012) at University of East Anglia, School of Environmental Sciences, UK.
- German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) Postdoctoral Fellowship: 'Whole-Genome Expression Analysis of the Marine Diatom Thalassiosira pseudonana' (2005-2007) at University of Washington, School of Oceanography, Group of Prof. E.V. Armbrust, US.
Prizes and Recognition:
- 2013: Distinguished Lecturer at Miami University, Ohio, US
- Fragilariopsis cylindrus voted 'Alga of the Year 2011' by Phycological Section of the German Botanical Society.
- Recipient of E.G. Pringsheim Award from Phycological Section of the German Botanical Society (For PhD Thesis)
- Invited participant of DIALOG V Symposium by the American Society of Limnology and Oceanography (ASLO), October 19th-25th at Bermuda Biological Station for Research, 2003
- 1st Poster Award at 'Botaniker Tagung' (International Meeting of the German Botanical Society) in Freiburg, September 22nd-27th, 2002
- Recipient of Annette-Barthelt Award from the Annette-Barthelt Foundation, Germany (For Diploma Thesis)
Amy Kirkham et al. :
- EMBO Short-Term Fellowship in the laboratory of Dr. Angela Falciatore: 'RNA interference in the diatom Thalassiosira pseudonana' (2011)
Rachel Hipkin et al. :
- Society for General Microbiology (SGM) Conference Grant: (Invited Talk) 'A conserved nuclear protein regulates bloom formation in marine centric diatoms. ASLO Aquatic Science Meeting 2011, 13-18 February, San Juan, Puerto Rico
- 'NERC 2011 Environment Young Entrepreneurs Scheme winning team'
Jan Strauss et al. :
- ASLO Student Travel Award (Poster) "Toward a genetic transformation system for the marine microalga Emiliania huxleyi", ASLO Aquatic Science Meeting 2009, 25-30 January, Center de Congres Acropolis, Nice, France
- Challenger Society Travel Award "Bioinformatic applications to analyse and visualize genome data", 2009 GMOD Summer School Europe, Oxford, UK
- Society for General Microbiology (SGM) Conference Grant (Talk): "The role of bacteria-like rhodopsins in marine eukaryotic phytoplankton", Society for General Microbiology Autumn Meeting, 6-9 September 2010, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK
- British Phycological Society Student Bursary (Talk) "The role of bacteria-like rhodopsins in marine eukaryotic phytoplankton", ASLO Aquatic Science Meeting 2011, 25-30 January, San Juan, Puerto Rico